Yamaguchi motorcycles of Japan, 1955 - 1963, Yamaguchi began a trading partnership with Pabatco (Pacific Basin Trading Company), an Oregon based fertilizer and produce distributor around 1961. Pabatco set up over 400 dealerships for the motorcycles and traded produce for them to get around currency exchange restrictions that were in place at the time. By 1963 they had a thriving business and had imported over 5000 motorcycles. In April of 1963 Yamaguchi stopped production and closed shop. Pabatco made an offer to Hodaka, who had been making the engines for Yamaguchi. Pabatco would design and market the bike and Hodaka would manufacture and assemble them.